Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Differences between being a Dad vs.Father

I was a newborn to an infant and then a toddler to pre-teens, teens and then to adulthood with a Father, an absent father that is. I know that I would have loved to have been raised by both parents. Only if my father was a dad and not just a father (Sperm Donor). I was raised by a Great, Intelligent, Strong and Loving Woman. She is my mommy, dad, supporter, best friend and my heart!

Don't get me wrong, I do love my father because he is my father and he had a hand in me being here on this earth. His faults and his reasons for not being a dad to me and my brother is unknown. I don't know if his dad was absent from his life (no excuse) and he did not know any better. Maybe it had something to do with the way he was raised (no excuse). Either way my father was not there for me or my brother.

We would see him every now and then and once in awhile we would speak with him on the phone. When we did see him we did not have much to say to one another because he did not know me or my brother and we did not know much about him. He wasn't a very big part of our lives.

We only knew some things about our father because my mommy, aunt, uncle and friends would speak of him. Even though my father was not there for us, my mommy did not talk bad about our father to us because she wanted me and my brother to have the opportunity of getting to know about our father and make our own decisions and choices about him. I know I really respect my mommy for that because I know my mommy had it hard with raising us on her own. My mommy is a single parent and she is the Best mommy, dad, supporter and best friend to have in our life. We are really blessed to have my mommy as our mommy and dad!

I know it would have been better for her and alot more easier to raise me and my brother if she had the support of the other parent, full support not half ass support. We (mommy,myself and brother) would have loved to have a dad and not just a father (sperm donor).

A father can be someone that isn't there for the child(ren) at all. Does not support the child(ren) in any kind of way. Has no emotional connection to the child(ren), no say in how or what the child(ren) does. He may not provide food, clothing, shelter, under garments, shoes, sneakers, a listening ear to your first crush, that first F or A on the report card, no bed time stories, etc.

Then you have the father that provides financial support only. But no emotional ties or connection with the child(ren). He will provide money, clothes, shoes, food and shelter but then again no emotional connection with the child(ren).

To me any man that is only a Father is just the sperm donor. He is half part of why I, you, him and her is on this earth.

A Dad to me is one that already knows that he wants to be a dad. A dad is a man that can admit that he is scared when a woman comes to him and says she is pregnant and he does not run. A dad is there at the appointments with the woman, he is there at the hospital when the child is born. A dad starts from the beginning of time.

A dad can also be that outside man that stepped up to the plate and took the role of being a dad. The outside man which is not biologically your dad but is your dad!

A dad is the whole package, a man that takes responsibility of his child(ren). A dad is there when you have your first knee scrape, your first crush, even your first fight in school. A dad is a supporter along with mommy, he is there to read bedtime stories, kiss the bruise on the forehead from falling off that bike. He will be the one that supports you in your decisions, choices and I think we can leave the womanly things to mommy to handle. A dad will bring that cookie to your room and say don't tell mommy because we will both be in trouble.

A dad is someone that is there for your first date, first kiss, and even to tell you about girls/boys and of course stay away from the boys, they are no good!
A dad spends time with you and get to know you all over again as you grow from that newborn, infant, toddler, pre -teen, teens and then to adulthood. A dad is someone that you can talk to, hang out with and even make fun of at times about those tight sweat pants. A dad is the one that would bathe you and tuck you in at night. Daddy is the protector , the one that is your prince. A dad is loving, caring, respectful, understanding many times, a sucker when it comes to his daddy's little girl or dad's little man(not much of a sucker with the boy though). Because the boy cannot be too soft.

This is my differences between being a dad vs. father.

A dad is a man and is well respected by me. A dad is many faces and grow along with the many paces of the child(ren). He goes through the growing pains and the phases as the child(ren) goes through theirs. He is dad and he will always be there for his child(ren) no matter the circumstance.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel you completely on that sister. I lucky to have someone to take his place somewhat. But it's hard when you that person isn't of the same bloodline. I often wonder about if I siblings out here somewhere. And if so was he there for them. If he was why wasn't/isn't he around for me. Oh while life goes on. He just was a great example of how not to be as man and father.


Dat Guy

Anonymous said...

Alexis, I really really love this post. It made me cry (in a good way). The situation I am in right now (which I PROMISE to get to eventually in my own personal blog) speaks very highly to this situation.

A dad can even be something different. When my sister had her child (many many years ago), she picked a real "winner" as a father (sperm donor). Not only did the biological father not want to have anything to do with the child, but my sister's new husband did not want to have anything to do with the child either. Joshua stepped in and became sort of a surrogate father figure to the child. He wasn't there for every occasion, but as the child got older, she knew Joshua was the one she counted on. He was there for her when she needed a male influence and because of that, they have an unbreakable bond.

It is really a beautiful thing.

Anonymous said...

This is a really good post. My dad is still trying to reconnect with us after all the years that he did us wrong.

You are a really insightful person and I admire that.

Alyson said...

Thank you for your comments on my blog. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

As for this post: You're exactly right. I'm a single mom and I hope that when my daughter is older she'll have as much love and appreciation for me as you do for your mother.